Thank you so much for your
interest in volunteering at Animal Care & Control. It is a very rewarding
and fulfilling experience to work alongside others who share your passion for
animal welfare. We greatly value our volunteers and thank them for dedicating
their time to care for our shelter animals and assist our staff.
NOTE: The minimum age requirement to volunteer at the shelter is 16. You must be at least 18 years old for all dog handling positions.
Please read through our current volunteer positions.
- Dynamite Dog Walker: Walk and socialize adoptable dogs.
- Dog Playgroup
Volunteer: Assist behavior
staff with multi-dog playgroups in our fenced play areas.
- You must be able to handle strong, energetic dogs. You should be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Dog Glam Squad: Bathe, brush, & groom dogs.
- Dog Kennel Care Assistant: Assist staff in providing enrichment and cleaning dog kennels.
- Cat Connoisseur: Interact with and socialize cats who are
waiting for homes.
- Cat Kennel Care
Assistant: Assist staff in
providing enrichment and cleaning cat rooms.
- Vet Clinic Assistant:
Assist our vet staff
with surgery preparation and recovery, sterilizing instruments, administrative
duties, and more.
- We are not currently accepting new vet clinic volunteers.
- Pawpurrazzi Pro: Take pictures and videos of our adoptable pets and upload them to our website and social media pages.
- Welcome Greeter: Show genuine hospitality by offering a warm
welcome to visitors who come to our shelter.
- Lost and Found
Liaison: Assist visitors with lost & found reports and help maintain the shelter's lost and found database.
- Special Events
Expert: Assist in various positions
at on-site and off-site events.
- Foster Parent: Provide temporary housing, care, and love for a
kitten, cat, or dog until they are ready for adoption or placement.
- We are not fostering dogs at the moment. Our greatest need is for fosters to provide a temporary home for young kittens.
Becoming a volunteer here consists of just a few simple steps.
Submit the volunteer application. Apply Now
- Attend orientation.
- Go to your background check appointment.
- Attend your hands-on training if applicable.
- Begin volunteering!
- AFTER you have submitted the online application, email our volunteer coordinator at PSD-ACC-Volunteer@pbcgov.org to register for orientation.
OTHER WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
Do you enjoy creating things? Ask us for our list of home project ideas to make enrichment items for our animals! There are simple kid-friendly ideas such as no-sew fleece blankets and knotted rope toys. as well as slightly more complex projects including pvc pipe food puzzles for dogs.