The Training & Safety Division provides various instructional opportunities throughout the year to meet the needs of Palm Beach County Fire Rescue personnel.
Current employees maintain their required technical certifications through the Training Division. The Division offers classes for personnel at fire stations and the Chief Herman W. Brice Fire Rescue Complex. Training modules and safety alerts are distributed online to ensure that PBCFR personnel receive essential information and training promptly.
One of the essential responsibilities of the Training Division is to provide the initial orientation and training for new firefighters. Four recruit academies were held during FY 2022. All probationary firefighters are evaluated to ensure skills learned in the recruit academy are retained throughout their first year of employment.
The Training Division processes all requests from operational personnel who wish to further their education at local colleges and state universities. Many employees have acquired their Associate's or Bachelor's degrees through a reimbursement program.
Four Officer Development Academies were held for Battalion Chief, EMS Captain, Captain, and Lieutenant. The Division also hosted a department-wide Officer's Forum for 295 personnel.
Additional training classes offered during this past fiscal year are listed below:
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1/101 Update
- Incident Command Systems for Expanding Incidents
- All-Hazards Incident Management Team
- Special Operations Candidate School
- Statewide Emergency Response Plan
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support/CPR
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- Florida Urban Search & Rescue
- Florida Fire Inspector Series I
- Live Fire Training Instructor
- Florida Fire Officer Series I
- Florida Fire Officer Series II
- FEMA Strike Team Leader
- Driver Candidate School
- Division of Forestry
- Aerial Operations
- Dive Rescue