If you need Community
Service Hours for school please click here
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Animal Care & Control. As the only open admission shelter in Palm Beach County, we accept all animals in need. Sadly, most of the dogs in our adoption program are overlooked as they are large, mixed breeds. Can YOU be their advocate? Can YOU help us help them?
We are most in need of volunteers to help leash walk individual dogs and to assist staff with rotating dogs in and out of the fenced in play areas.
Ready to help? Click here to sign up as a PBC ACC Dog Walker Volunteer!
Please view all of our volunteer opportunities below!
- Dog Walker: Leash walk dogs who are waiting for homes in our PetPals adoption program.
- Dog Playgroup: Assist staff with rotating dogs in and out of the fenced in play areas.
- Dog Puptography: Take pictures and videos of adoptable dogs for our website and social media.
- Dog Paw Spa: Bathe dogs to improve their comfort and adoptability.
- Dog Foster Parent Please take a look at our foster opportunities here.”
- Scrub Club: Help us keep our laundry and dish room in tiptop shape! The scrub club also assists with cleaning, assembling litter boxes and more!
- Feline Friends: Interact and socialize with cats/kittens who are waiting for homes in our PetPals adoption program. Activities include playing, petting, providing enrichment, quiet reading, and more.
- Feline Purrtography: Take pictures and videos of our adoptable cats for our website and social media.
- Feline Foster Parent: Provide temporary housing, love and care for a cat/kitten until they are ready for adoption. *Requires completing the Foster application. The head of household (21+) must be the one to complete and submit the foster application.*
- Enrichment Workshop: Attending scheduled workshops to make and create enrichment items (toys, puzzles, treats, etc.) for all animals in our care. Shelter animals can be mentally and physically under-stimulated which can lead to boredom, anxiety and the development of behavior issues. Enrichment items help reduce stress and promote the physical and psychological well-being of animals while awaiting their forever homes.
- Lost & Found Liaison: Help reunite pets with their families and assist visitors with lost & found reports. Must be proficient with phones and computers to maintain the shelter's lost and found database.
- Welcome Greeter: Show genuine hospitality by offering a warm welcome to visitors. Kindly answer questions and guide them to where they want to go.
- Special Events Expert: Assist in various positions at on-site and off-site events (roles depend on the event) helping to promote/educate and recruit volunteers and fosters. Set up and tear down/cleanup is always needed and appreciated.
- South Florida Fair: Volunteering on site at our booth at the South Florida Fair. Helping to educate the public and promote the many services we provide.
Ready to make a difference? Please follow the steps below to join our volunteer team today!
1. Submit the volunteer application. Apply Now
2. Attend orientation. Click here to register! ** Click Volunteer Coordinator and choose a date and time
- Orientation is held in person at Animal Care & Control, located at 7100 Belvedere Road
- Class size is limited. If unable to attend after registering, please be sure to cancel in advance to allow another volunteer the opportunity to attend.
- The volunteer team will collect your SSN in person at volunteer orientation to submit for the background screening.
- After volunteer orientation, you will receive an email from the volunteer team with the phone number to call to make your background screening and volunteer badge appointment.
3. Go to your background screening appointment. **Address will be included in the email above.
- A background screening which includes fingerprinting is REQUIRED for all volunteers.
- A driver's license or state identification card is required for the background screening.
- Once your background screening clears, a volunteer badge will be issued. The volunteer team will email you when your badge arrives along with the link to sign up for training.
4. Attend hands-on training if applicable. ** All Animal handling positions require training
5. Purchase your official volunteer t-shirt ($10) on the day of your training.
6. Begin volunteering!