Pet Friendly Shelter
As you make preparations for this year's storm season, don't forget to include your pets in your plan. Use these handy checklists to help you gather everything you'll need to keep you and your pets comfortable and safe as you ride out the storm.
Need a safe place to shelter during a storm? There are many pet friendly hotels throughout the County as well as secure boarding facilities for your pets.
Owners may drop pets off at the West Boynton Recreation Center Pet Friendly Shelter. After checking the pet(s) in, owners and family members may proceed to Park Vista High School, which is adjacent to the Pet Friendly Shelter, for human sheltering. Owners
may not shelter at the PFS with their pets.
Equines, livestock, small barnyard animals, exotic pets, and reptiles are not accepted at the Pet Friendly Shelter. Aggressive dogs may be refused if it is determined that it is unsafe for staff to care for and handle the pet.
The Pet Friendly Shelter should be used as a last resort option in the event of a storm or other natural disaster.
Space is limited at the Park Vista Shelter so please limit personal belongings to only those essential items:
Suggested items for pets include:
- Carrier for cats/ leash and collar for dogs
- Pet food for 3-5 days
- Food and water bowls
- Light bedding for kennel where pet will be housed
- Any necessary medications for your pet
- Toys, chew bones, or other small enrichment items to keep your pet calm and entertained is it's crate.
- ID tags with name and phone number attached to pet's collar or harness.
- Vaccine records (all pet should be current on the rabies vaccine)
What to expect during your Pet's stay at the PFS:
Your pet will be cared for by experienced Animal Care and Control staff including,
- Limited walks for dogs
- Dogs, cats, birds, and pocket pets will be housed separately.
- This is a disaster relief shelter and should be only used as a last resort option. Check with your veterinarian or local boarding facility for additional options.
At check-in, staff will be available to answer any additional questions.