Return to Okeeheelee
ETravis@pbcgov.org ; 561-233-1408
Teen Volunteer Program
Summer 2021 Application
Would you like to help make the world a better place? Help Okeeheelee Nature Center educate visitors about animals and the environment, and inspire people to take action to help our planet!
In order to volunteer, interested persons must:
- be at least fifteen years old.
- not need court-ordered service hours.
- commit to volunteering for a minimum of six months or 100 hours.
- complete the application/background check process.
Training is provided by staff or experienced volunteers for all positions. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Greeter/Gift Shop Volunteers welcome guests and provide information to enhance the visitor experience. Due to COVID-19, the gift shop is currently closed until further notice, but greeters assist with sales of Friends of Okeeheelee Nature Center (FONC) memberships and animal sponsorships.
- Indoor Animal Care Volunteers spend their shifts cleaning enclosures, preparing meals, providing enrichment for our indoor animals including a raptor, reptiles and invertebrates.
- Outdoor Animal Care Volunteers spend their shifts raking outdoor enclosures, preparing meals and providing enrichment for our birds of prey, Gopher Tortoise, Virginia Opossum and our White-tailed Deer herd that reside outside of the nature center.
- Butterfly Garden Volunteers help maintain and beautify our butterfly garden to ensure it remains inviting to native caterpillars and butterflies.
- Education Docents lead guided walks and assist with educational programs for families, schools and public groups.
- Maintenance Volunteers assist with maintenance of the facility and trails.
- Trail Stewards assist ONC staff by being our eyes and ears on the trails around the nature center, educating visitors about rules, other park amenities and the preserve’s flora and fauna.
- Special Event Volunteers are needed for a variety of jobs to support our large scale events such as our annual Earth Day celebration.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin