For your convenience, we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions from the Licensing Staff in Consumer Affairs. We hope these questions and answers will help you. If not, please contact us so we may assist you further.


    • Question Mark IconCan I buy or sell a Vehicle for Hire licensed company?
      Yes. If the company is currently licensed and in good standing with the Division of Consumer Affairs.

    • Question Mark IconWhen can I renew my Vehicle for Hire License?
      The Vehicle for Hire License expires on April 30th of each year. Renewal applications are generally sent out to currently license companies in the middle of January. Please call our office mid-January (561) 712-6600 for additional information.

    • Question Mark IconWill the renewal application be sent out by mail or can I pick it up?
      The renewal applications are sent out in the first week of February. If you have moved or changed your address, please notify our office in writing, via email or fax before that item. This was the staff can ensure the application is sent to the proper address.

    • Question Mark IconWhat is the deadline for renewal my company's Vehicle for Hire application?
      All completed, signed applications and supporting documentation must be submitted by March 1st of each license year. Incomplete applications will not be accepted by the Division of Consumer Affairs staff.

    • Question Mark IconCan I renew a Vehicle for Hire business license if it has been expired for over 1 license year?
      No. The Vehicle For Hire Business must be considered ACTIVE in order to be renewed; all applicable fees will apply.

    • Question Mark IconCan I submit my own Certificate of Insurance?
      No. The Certificate of Insurance must be emailed or faxed directly to the Division of Consumer Affairs by the insurance agent or broker.

    • Question Mark IconAre vehicle decals transferrable?
      No. The decals are non-transferrable.  Decals are to be returned to the Division of Consumer Affairs if the vehicle is taken out of service or removed from your insurance policy.

    • Question Mark IconDoes an ASE safety inspection have to be submitted for all vehicles?

    • Question Mark IconAre there any other inspection requirements?
      Yes. All taxi and non-medical wheelchair and stretcher transportation vehicles shall be visually inspected when first placed into service, and annually thereafter by the Division of Consumer Affairs.

    • Question Mark IconMy commercial insurance or my car expires at midnight tonight. How much time do I have to get new insurance?
      Any vehicle used by a licensed company as a vehicle for hire is required to have the proper levels of commercial insurance continuously. Failure to have this insurance in place can result in the license for the company being suspended and/or revoked.

    • Question Mark IconIs there an age requirement for vehicles?
      There shall be no age limitation for any vehicles, so long as the vehicle complies with the inspection process.

    • Question Mark IconSince TNCs are not regulated by the Division of Consumer Affairs - where should I file a complaint against a TNC business?

      ​Complaints about TNC services should be directed to the company or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services at 1-800-HELP-FLA.

    • Question Mark IconWhat do I need to apply for my Driver ID Badge?

      You must submit an application packet to the Division of Consumer Affairs which consists of the following:

        • A completed Vehicle for Hire Driver's ID Badge Application form
        • A completed Florida Department of Law Enforcement Check
          (FDLE-National background check-Level 2) form
        • An original Florida Lifetime Driving History
        • Payment in the amount of $100.00 for new application submitted on time.
        • Late renewals, the fee is $130.00.

    • Question Mark IconDo I need to come to your office to get the form or is it available online?
      You may pick up the packet at our office however the all of the applications are available on our website. They can be found at:


    • Question Mark IconWhat forms of payment do you accept?
      Only Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card, Money Order or personal check are accepted. Cash is NOT accepted.

    • Question Mark IconWhere can I obtain an original of my Florida Lifetime Driving History?
      You may obtain it from any Department of Motor Vehicles office, from any Clerk of Court Office, or Department of Consumer Affairs before 4.00 pm. It must be a Lifetime Driving History.

    • Question Mark IconCan I submit a partial application without my lifetime driving history information?

      No. Partial application packets cannot be accepted due to the volume of applications submitted.

    • Question Mark IconWhen can I submit my application for a Vehicle For Hire Driver ID Badge?

      Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, from 8:00am-4:00pm excluding holidays.

    • Question Mark IconDoes the Division of Consumer Affairs assist the applicant with identifying for-hire transportation companies who are currently hiring?

      No. It is up to the applicant to identify and apply at a for-hire transportation company for which they want to work, and ensure this information is included on the Driver I.D. Badge application.

    • Question Mark IconCan I work for only one (1) Vehicle-for-hire transportation company?

      You may work for more than one (1) Vehicle-for-hire transportation company at any given time.

    • Question Mark IconIs there any test to obtain a Vehicle for Hire Driver ID Badge?

      Yes. A basic English and Geography Test is required for all NEW applicants.

    • Question Mark IconHow do I find out when I will take the basic English and Geography Test?

      When you submit your completed application packet and payment, you will be scheduled for a specific date and time to take the test. Also at the time of application, your photo will be taken for the Vehicle for Hire Driver ID Badge.

    • Question Mark IconIf I am running late should I go ahead and come into your office or just re-schedule my test appointment?

      You should call to re-schedule your test appointment.

    • Question Mark IconCan I take the basic English and Geography Test at the time of application?

      No.  Testing is done in groups and is scheduled usually 6 to 7 days from the date you submit your application. That 6 to 7 day time period allows staff to obtain your criminal background check from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and time for a Consumer Affairs Compliance Ofice to review your entire file for either approval or denial. An information sheet is provided to you at the time you submit your application and have your photo taken. The information sheet can also be found on our website at this link.

    • Question Mark IconWhat if I fail the English and Geography Test?

      If you fail the English and Geography Test, you have a second opportunity to pass the test. The date of your retest is usually set several days away so that you have more time to study the information sheet.

    • Question Mark IconIf my application and criminal background check are approved, and I pass the English and Geography Test, when will I get the Vehicle for Hire Driver ID Badge?

      In the majority of cases, the Badge is ready upon passing the English and Geography Test.

    • Question Mark IconWhat is a 5 year driving history in Florida?

      ​You must provide the original form of your lifetime State Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles traffic/driving record report to the Division which was secured no more than thirty (30) days before the application/renewal was submitted.

    • Question Mark IconWhat if I do not have a 5 year driving history in Florida?

      ​Upon initial application, if you have resided in Florida less than five (5) consecutive years, a traffic/driving record/history from each state where you previously resided must be provided for at least a five-year period; OR

      Provide a State of Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles traffic/driving history report which was secured no more than thirty (30) days before the application/renewal was submitted. Electronic records of such driving history reports shall be maintained by the Vehicle For Hire company.

    • Question Mark IconWhat if I do not have a 5-year driving history in Florida because I moved here directly from a foreign country from which I cannot obtain my prior lifetime driving history?

      ​Then you, the applicant, must sign a sworn, notarized Vehicle For Hire Driver Affidavit Form under penalty of perjury that he/she has no driving record which would prevent him/her from driving a vehicle in the country.

Contact Us

50 South Military Trail
Suite 201
West Palm Beach, FL 33415
West Palm Beach Area:​
Boca/ Delray/ Glades:
Toll Free 888-852-7362
         Fax:  561-712-6610