Back to Hazards Directory
- Fire represents one of the greatest hazards that a business can face.
- Each year, several thousand lives are lost to fires, tens of thousands of people are seriously injured and billions of dollars worth of property is destroyed or damaged by fires.
- In Florida we have the double threat of wildfires and structural fires.
- Wildfires have the potential to engulf business and industrial parks expanding into our rural areas.
- While many wildfires in Florida are started by lightning, carelessness and arson also contribute.
- Structural fires often start with defects in machinery, electrical equipment, improper handling of flammable liquid or gases or faulty electrical wiring.
- Most fires can be prevented by the use of proper building materials, identification and protection of special hazards, detection and suppression equipment, education, and the involvement and commitment of the business owners or management.