Small Business Disaster Survival Plan
Back to Business Directory
Studies show that almost 50 percent of U.S companies that suffer major disasters never reopen and another 29 percent close within two years! Don't let this happen to your business. Use this site as a guide to develop a hurricane survival & recovery plan with inserts for other types of disasters.
This website was created to assist the Palm Beach County small business owner in preparing a hurricane survival and recovery plan tailored specifically to their business.
By reading the information contained in the "Hurricane Planning Elements", filling in the forms and then printing the "elements", you will have a plan designed specifically for your business.
Furthermore, under "Other Disasters", information and facts regarding Flood, Tornado, Lightning, Fire and Terrorism may be printed and added to create a more comprehensive disaster survival and recovery plan.
This site was developed by the Palm Beach County Public Safety Department, Division of Emergency Management, the Palm Beach County Economic Development Office, and the Palm Beach County ISS Department with funds provided by the Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners and the U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration.
Narration for the Multimedia Guided Tour courtesy of Mike Lyons, Chief Meteorologist for WPBF, Channel 25.
Multimedia Guided Tour
Developing the Plan
- Someone must be in charge of developing the hurricane survival and recovery plan.
- The first step in the development of a plan is the designation of the person or persons who will be responsible for development & implementation.
- In a very small business it may be the responsibility of the owner.
- In larger businesses it may be representatives of select departments or disciplines.
- It is imperative that one person or a designated team of people be assigned this important responsibility.
Click here to see other disasters