Hurricane Impacted Animals
Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control continues to request that any stray animals found are brought to the shelter at 7100 Belvedere Road for documentation and stray-hold time in an effort to reunite animals that may have become lost just prior to and immediately following a hurricane. Animals found during the time our community is impacted by a hurricane will be kept for 10 days before being available for pre-adoption. No adoption will be finalized until 30 days after the storm-impacted pet was brought to the division.
Local private shelters and/or local or out-of-town rescue organizations may not transport any storm displaced animals out of county for a period of 30 days.
Local private shelters and rescue organizations are strongly discouraged from importing any new animals into Palm Beach County during hurricane season. Local private shelters and rescue organizations are encouraged to take adoptable animals from Animal Care and Control in order to free space at the division for storm displaced pets.
Pet Friendly Hurricane Shelter
The Pet Friendly Shelter is located inside the West Boynton Recreational Center at 6000 Northtree Blvd., Lake Worth, FL 33463 and is only available to Palm Beach County residents who reside in a mandatory evacuation zone, in a mobile home, or in sub-standard housing. Proof of residency will be required.
All pets must be accompanied by only one owner who will stay inside the Pet Friendly Shelter. All other family members will need to stay at the adjacent human shelter, Park Vista High School. Pets will be housed in a separate area away from where people are sheltered; livestock and reptiles will not be accepted.
Space is limited and all food will be provided, so please limit personal belongings to only those essential items that you will need during your stay.
Suggested items for people include:
Suggested items for pets include:
- Light personal bedding material in addition to a mat or cot
- At least 2 change of clothes
- Any necessary medications
- Any special diet items
- Chargers for your essential electronics
- Small entertainment items, such as books, board games, cards, etc.
- Bedding for kennel or carrier
- Properly fitted collar and leash for dogs.
- Cats need to be in a carrier.
- 3-5 days of food for your pet
- Any necessary mediations for your pet
- Toys, chew bones, or other small enrichment items to keep your pet calm.
- ID tags with name and phone number attached to pet’s collar or harness.
Staff will be available on site to answer any additional questions.