The implementation date of the Florida Product Approval System was October 1, 2003. Rule 61G20-3 of the Florida Administrative Code establishes a higher standard of practice for product evaluations, as well as uniformity and consistency of enforcement statewide.
The Rule covers the following eight categories of products:
- EXTERIOR DOORS (rollup, sectional, sliding, swinging, automatic; pre-engineered roof access hatches, or other)
- WINDOWS (awning, casement, dual action, double hung, single hung, fixed, horizontal slider, projected, pass through, mullions, or other)
- PANEL WALLS (siding, soffits, exterior insulation finish system (EIFS), storefronts, curtain walls, wall louver, glass block, or other)
- ROOFING PRODUCTS (built up roofing, modified bitumen roof system, single ply roof systems, spray applied polyurethane roof system, roofing fasteners, roofing insulation, asphalt shingles, wood shingles and shakes, roofing slate, roof tile adhesives, cement-adhesives-coatings, liquid applied roof systems, underlayments, metal roofing, roofing tiles, waterproofing, roofing accessories that are an integral part of the roofing system, or other)
- SHUTTERS (accordion, Bahama, storm panels, fabric storm panel, colonial, roll-up, pre-engineered equipment, protection, or other)
- SKYLIGHTS (skylight or other)
- STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS: (truss plates, wood connectors, anchors, exterior coolers-freezers, insulation form systems, engineered lumber, pre-engineered air conditioner stands, structural wall components, and roof deck, or other)
- PRODUCTS COMPRISING A BUILDING’S ENVELOPE INTRODUCED AS A RESULT OF NEW TECHNOLOGY (as applicable)
The product approval system includes a state website for submittal of applications and payment of fees for state product approvals. In addition, a database will be available to search a list of approved entities and products approved for statewide use. For more information on statewide product approval and the Florida Building Code, visit www.floridabuilding.org or call (850) 487-1824 and ask to speak to someone in the Florida Building Codes and Standards Section of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Requests for local product approval shall be done based on the requirements in FS 553.8425, Rule 61G20-3 and PPM# PBO-118 which are linked on the menu to the right.