Other Benefits & Programs
Back to Veterans Services
Beneficiaries who live in foreign countries should contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate for information and claims assistance. In Canada, veterans should contact an office of the Veterans' Affairs Canada.
Records of Medals (Missing or Replacement)
Contact information is available in the Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents pamphlet or visithttp://www.va.gov
State Veterans Homes
Contact your state Veterans Commission and/or your county Veterans Service Officer.
Civil Service Preference
Point preference is given for federal job applications. States will vary in what veterans job preference is offered to job applicants.
State Benefits (these benefits vary by state)
- Free tuition for family members for state colleges and universities
- Free camping privileges\
- Free hunting/fishing licenses\
- Free disabled veteran automobile license plates
- Free boat trailer registration fees and taxes
- Free handicapped parking card
- Free watercraft registration.
For more information on benefits available in your state, visit the National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs web site at
http://www.nasdva.net and click on the state you live in.
Homeless Veterans' Services
- Aggressive outreach to veterans living on streets and in shelters
- Clinical assessment and referral to medical treatment for physical and psychiatric disorders, including substance abuse
- Long term sheltered transitional assistance, case management, and rehabilitation
- Employment assistance and linkage with available income supports
- Supported permanent housing.
Homeless Veterans Programs
- V.A.'s Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program
- V.A. Assistance to Stand Downs
- Homeless Chronically Mentally III (HCMI) veterans program
- Domiciliary Care for Homeless Veterans (DCHV)
- Compensated Work Therapy/Transitional Residence (CWT/TR) Program
- Department of Housing and Urban Development/VA Supported Housing (HUD V ASH)
- Drop-in Centers
- Social Security Administration and VA Outreach Program
- Comprehensive homeless centers
- VBA - VHA Special Outreach and Benefits Assistance
- VBA's Acquired Property Sales for Homeless Providers
- VA Excess Property for homeless Veterans Initiative
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Community Homelessness Assessment, Local Education, and Networking Groups (CHALENG).
For more information on homeless services and programs, contact your nearest V.A. facility or visit