Tips on Adding Exercise to Your Busy Life
Back to Nutrition and Wellness
Most of us live a busy life, juggling between a full time job, small children, and a home to take care of. Many times we feel sick and doctors tell us there is nothing wrong with us. Do you know that we can live a healthier life if only we take care of ourselves? Pay attention to your body messages – learn to relax, think of creative ways to improve your health by doing what is right for you. What is right for you? Maintain a healthy diet and exercise daily. You don't have to belong to an expensive gym or purchase expensive equipment to exercise. Here are some ideas of exercises that you can include in your busy daily routine.
- Straightening up the house: Have fun while doing it! Pop in your favorite CD with contagious music and start to dance as you pick up the house. Keep moving for the duration of the song. This will be your cardio exercise.
- After shopping: Bring the bags one at a time into the house and place them on the floor. Put the groceries away one at a time. Bending into a squat to pick up each item, push through both heels to raise your body up to a standing position. Repeat until all groceries are put away.
- Traffic jams: Make the most of your time by squeezing in your stomach when you are stopped in traffic or at a stop light. See if you can hold it as long as you can.
- Laundry days: Put the clothes on the floor and load the washer one item at a time.
- Cooking: Whether standing by the sink or the stove, you can do calf raises, stand tall and squeeze your abdomen in for balance. Raise your heels off the ground, hold for three seconds and lower to a starting position. Afterward try doing one foot at a time.
- Watching TV: Put a towel on the floor, and lie down on your back. Bend your knees, place your feet flat on floor, and rest your head in your hands. Take a deep breath and as you exhale begin to lift your upper body off the floor using your abdominal muscles. Only lift to the point where your shoulders are coming off the floor. Hold for three seconds and inhale as you release and return to starting position. Another exercise is to lie flat and lift up your legs to 45 degrees, hold them for 20 seconds let go down and try it again.