Water Safety Checklist for Kids
Back to Family and Human Development Page
Summer will be here before too long, kids will be out of school and spending a considerable amount of time in or around water. Parents, you can help keep your children safe around water by teaching them to:
- Always swim with a buddy.
- Never run, push, or jump on others around water
- Always wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket when they're in or near an open body of water, a boat, or when participating in water sports.
- Know that inflatable inner tubes and "water rings" are not safety devices.
- Swim only within designated safe areas of rivers, lakes, oceans.
- Never dive into a river, lake, ocean, or canal.
Source: National Safe Kids Campaign