News and Events
Put Your Best Fork Forward: Celebrating National Nutrition Month 2017 ®
This year's campaign focuses on the importance of making better food choices and developing physical activity habits for life. Here are some tips to help you obtain your goals:
- Make small changes, one at a time. You are more likely to succeed. Restrictions can make you go back to your old habits.
- Prepare meals at home more often than not. This will save you money and you know what ingredients you are using to make your meals healthier.
- Select more fruits and vegetables. They provide fiber to prevent constipation, and reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer, and heart disease. A variety of fruits and vegetables provide you the much needed vitamins and minerals your body needs for overall health.
- Add whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat pasta and bread. Experiment using the foods you are familiar with to new recipes and provide healthier choices.
- Add your favorite physical activity, from walking to dancing or any activity you enjoy. Think of it this way: if you eat you need to burn those calories and not only for that reason; physical activity influences how you feel. Nothing beats feeling good and healthy!
Here is a nice recipe using salmon. It can be used as a sandwich spread or crackers. Enjoy!
3 ounces Smoked Salmon
1 tablespoon Sweet Relish
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon capers
Add ingredients to salmon and smash all ingredients together. Serve with whole wheat bread or any type of cracker, celery stalk, wrap in lettuce, mix with cabbage or any vegetable.
For more information on healthy eating you can log in to http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/