|News and Events
Happy 50th Birthday, EFNEP! Improving Family Nutrition Since 1969!
#EFNEP50th #EFNEPStillWorks #NIFAimpacts @USDA_NIFA
Fiber Focus Month
Family Fit Lifestyle Month
Birth Defects Prevention Month
National Radon Action Month
6-12 Diet Resolution Month
6-12 Folic Acid Awareness Week
20-26 Healthy Weight Week
22-27 National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week
Jan 27- Feb 2 Salt Awareness Week
New Year's Resolution: Take Care of My Health!
Most of us come up with this New Year resolution of losing weight or maintaining a healthier lifestyle that does not last long. Are you trying to lose weight year after year unsuccessfully?
Here are some tips that may help you establish a goal of maintaining a healthier life:
- Think about the immediate benefits: how good it feels when you are healthy, the sense of well-being, energetic, mentally alert. As a reminder put a picture of yourself having a good time.
- Make small, easy changes over time:
Begin taking walks after dinner, instead of watching television.
Instead of cakes, have fruits for desserts.
Add a vegetable and fruit in every meal; they are packed with disease–fighting plant compounds.
Use olive oil and squeeze a lemon in your salads rather than store bought salad dressings.
Try a variety of strategies:
- Make family goals, such as committing to eat fish twice per week.
- Drink water rather than soda.
- For mindless munching, eat olives, pickles with no high fructose corn syrup, and hummus.
- Sleep more; use strategies like meditation, music, and reading before going to bed.
It is important to put the focus on living a healthy lifestyle, rather than on obtaining a particular weight.