Zoning - Special Permit Process


Return to FAQs List


  • What is a Special Permit?

    A Special Permit allows a special use of property and some examples include but are not limited to: a special event, an accessory dwelling (Agricultural Reserve and PUD only), a security caretaker quarters, or temporary sales such as a hot dog or taco stand and a stand for the sale of agricultural products.

  • How do I apply for a Special Permit?

    ​Applications for a Special Permit are submitted at 2300 N. Jog Road, West Palm Beach, every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., on a first come first serve basis.

  • Once I get my Special Permit, what do I do?

    ​You need to pass any inspections as required by the Unified Land Development Code (ULDC) or as a condition of the Special Permit. Once the inspections are passed, you may proceed to the next step; such as open the special event, install your tent, place the mobile home on the site, or start construction if a building permit is required prior to the Special Permit. If you are having a special event, you must obtain a building permit for temporary (electrical) power poles or structures.

  • Can I open my stand/special event/hot dog cart or start construction before I obtain a Special Permit?

    ​No. You must first receive your building permits if using a mobile home. All Special Permits require some type of inspection or Business Tax Receipt. These must be obtained or completed before you open for business or start construction.

  • Do I need a Business Tax Receipt to sell hot dogs or sell Christmas trees/sparklers if I obtain a Special Permit?

    ​Yes. A Palm Beach County Business Tax Receipt will be required for most Special Permits. The Zoning Division Site Planner will sign the application form and you will have to bring the application to the Tax Collector.

  • Do I need a permit for a Grand Opening sign?

    ​Yes. A Special Permit is required for a grand opening sign, which allows temporary banners to be placed in the window or on the face of the building for fourteen days in accordance with Art. 8, Signage.