Back to Statututes/Laws
Petitioners must provide a detailed description of the violence and threats committed against them including the location, dates and time of the crimes:
- What did the respondent do that was violent: with the hands,feet, body, object, weapon?
- How did the respondent look while committing the violence and/or making threatening statements?
- How did you, the petitioner, feel when it was happening?
- If you were struck, describe where on your body.
- What marks on your body are evident from the violence?
- Were there witnesses to the violence?
- Were there children present during the actual violence?
- Were any pets injured or abused by the respondent?
- What did you do while the violence or direct threats were occurring?
- In the case of stalking, keep a record of the number of text messages, e-mails, phone calls, drive-bys of work and home location.
- If law enforcement was called, was there an arrest?
- If you are too traumatized to hand write the affidavit or have problems writing the English language, please tell the person assisting you.