Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Master Gardeners Volunteers Needed,
- I am writing to ask for your help if possible. The foundation called Arc of Palm Beach County (https://www.arcpbc.org) would like to revive and repair an existing garden. Arc teaches children and adults with mental and physical disabilities and offers a great vocational training and job placement program for able students. The staff's main goal is to start a gardening program for as many participants as possible, including the severely handicapped children. The MG team's main goals are to transform the garden into a Sensory Garden that includes a butterfly garden and build new elevated beds accessible to all. All other necessary tasks such as pruning , cleaning, weeding, and moving a couple of sprinklers are part of the clean up and repair plan. There is also a non-functioning pond that needs to be removed and maybe replaced by a safe water fountain, somewhere in the garden. I have planned to use only native plants for sustainability as well as to attract birds and butterflies. When choosing the plants, we can focus on textures , smells, and some bright colors. I would like to have participants and staff join us in one final day and install a few new plants, or start the water fountain. Just trying to build some ownership and excitement. A reopening celebration and installation of the garden gate sign made by students will be planned as well.
I have a few challenges and need your suggestions :
• Create an area for seedlings to grow protected from heavy rains and direct sun
• Decide the best location for elevated beds so they can be used by all participants
• Landscape a small part of the garden for staff use. They deserve to reset and refresh
Once the garden is ready, I would love to have a MG maintenance crew. If the new garden is to survive and grow we will need to schedule volunteers at least twice a week. I have included several photos of the garden and a number of items on the staff wish list. If you decide to join us, we will have a brain-storming session at the garden and begin the clean-up. I am excited to create a beautiful garden with you.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Best, Marcia Bartczak, HTR 561-801-2134 email@example.com www.Greenthreadht.com
- Volunteers are needed to help maintain and renew Pan's Garden in Palm Beach. One block from Worth Avenue, Pan's Garden is a lovely 1/2 acre jewel of a native garden, an oasis in and out of "season". We are looking for volunteers who enjoy gardening, and know the difference that can be made with good weeding and right plants in the right place. Flexible hours.
Contact Susan Lerner, Master Gardener and Director of Horticulture at Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach. firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-832-0731 x113.
Master Gardener Volunteer Opportunities:
Call Candace Smith at 233-1759 to sign up now for the 2019 South Florida Fair Master Gardener Volunteer Booth January 18-February 3, 2019
Keep Certified as an active Palm Beach County Master Gardener Volunteer for 2018!
You can locate the University of Florida Master Gardener Website at: http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/mastergardener/
Let us know if you have any problems logging in, with any passwords or any other problem using this system. Call Candace Smith at 561-233-1759 or email CSmith5@pbcgov.org
Download the monthly activity sheet