Helping Our Overweight Children
Back to Nutrition and Wellness
The number of children who are overweight continues to increase. One in five children is obese!
Helping children with weight is a multifaceted problem. Kids need support, guidance and most of all an understanding that healthy eating and physical activity habits are important now and later. Parents can provide guidance by:
- offering food choices that follow the food guide pyramid in terms of balance and options; setting a food example by eating with kids and making healthful food choices
- not using food as a reward or punishment
- letting your child decide when they had enough to eat
- helping your children learn to accept responsibility for the food choices they make
- encourage regular physical activity
For more information contact Palm Beach County Cooperative Extension at 561-233-1742.