South Florida Fair Exhibit Vouchers are ready!
For all youth who entered a food or general exhibit for this year's South Florida Fair, your premium vouchers can be picked up starting tomorrow. You will need to take them to the fairgrounds and they can be redeemed with the cashier in the fair hospitality building. Vouchers must be redeemed before last day of the fair. If you do not pickup and redeem your vouchers, our team will do so and have your premiums ready for you when you pick up your exhibits. Exhibit pickup will be Monday, February 3rd from 2-6pm in Concourse Building 4. Any items not picked up will be taken to the 4-H office and held for 2 weeks. If not picked up within 2 weeks, any remaining fair exhibits will be discarded. All Grand and Reserve Grand Champion ribbons can be claimed during exhibit pickup as well.
4-H Gator Pit
Interested to start your entrepreneurial journey? If you are ready to learn how to launch and pitch a product or service then this is the program for you! Gator Pit will cover topics from idea conception to prototyping and will answer most of the questions you have relating to how to launch and execute your business. What you need to know:
- The program is for youth ages 14-18
- There is no cost to participate in the sessions, there are costs associated with the Final Pitch contest of $15.00 per participant (includes branded gift and lunch). Scholarships are available upon request.
- Teams (2-4 people) or individuals may participate
- Registration is open February 2020
- Virtual sessions take place Wednesdays, 4-5pm EST, March-April 2020 Session topics include:
- Mindset: Who, What, Why and How
- Ideation: From Problem to Solution
- Canvas: Understanding Your Business Climate
- Strategy: Creating the Business Plan
- Beta Test: Make it a Reality
- Pitch: Structure and Creation
- Final pitch contest is May 30, 2020 at the UF IFAS Orange County Extension Office for qualified participants. Monetary awards will be given out in the amounts of $1000 for first, $350 for second, $250 for third place winners of each category. Categories will be in one of 3 areas: Service, Physical Product, or Software/app (digital).
National 4-H Young Alumni Advisory Committee Nominations Sought
National 4-H Council seeks nominations to identify dynamic, proven leaders from across the country to serve on the Young Alumni Advisory Committee. The YAAC serves as a bridge to the young alumni community, informing National 4-H Council's Board of Trustees & working closely with National 4-H Council associates to provide counsel, work on strategic initiatives and help grow our network of young 4-H alumni. Nominees should be between the ages of 18-22 as of July 1. Submit your nominations online by February 27. Apply directly at: https://4-h.org/alumni/4-h-young-alumni/yaac-nominator-form/.
March for Health Virtual 5K
March 4-Health Virtual 5K registration is open! See the attached flier. Agents can customize a program in their county if they choose to. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-4-h-march-for-health-virtual-5k-tickets-87648736731?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text. The March 4-Health Virtual 5K is open for registration! We hope you will choose to participate and look forward to another successful year. Have more questions? Contact your local extension office.
Florida State Fair & State Fair Judging Contests
The Florida State Fair is February 6-17 at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa (4800 US Hwy. 301 North, Tampa, FL 33610). The Florida State Fair offers livestock, dairy, goat, horse, and poultry judging contests to 4-H and FFA members. Information and dates/times/locations for these contests is available at: https://floridastatefairag.com/wpcontent/uploads/2019/10/live-judgingcontestrules-1.pdf.
Florida 4-H Nature Poetry Contest
"In the swamp Catfish romp. They play in the knees of the cypress trees." - Wesley Wood, Pinellas County
Have your youth ever penned a rhyme about a hawk or a shrew? Encourage youth to use their creativity and powers of observation to write and submit a poem to the Florida 4-H Nature Poetry Contest! Not all poems have to rhyme, they can be written in a variety of formats. Visit http://sfrc.ufl.edu/extension/4h/poetry/index.html to download the contest entry form. Once the form is completed, return by mail to the address given in the instructions. There is a limit of one entry per person. Up to 20 poems (from poets of any age) may be submitted from each county. Each poem must be submitted to Agent Noelle Guay no later than Friday, February 28. Winners will be announced by April 15, 2020, and will be recognized on April 18, 2020, at the Forest Ecology Contest in Gainesville, FL.
Adventures in Veterinary Medicine
Do you know an aspiring veterinarian? Adventures in Veterinary Medicine (AVM) is a fun and engaging career exploration program for middle and high school students who are interested in pursuing a veterinary career. We invite your 4-H youth to apply to AVM and discover if this exciting career is right for them! AVM attendees will explore the wide variety of opportunities available within veterinary medicine and see firsthand what attending veterinary school is really like. Sessions include lectures by Tufts faculty and vet students, interesting laboratories, demonstrations, and hands-on activities with animals. Applications for summer 2020 are now available! For more information about the program, including dates, eligibility, and tuition, please visit the AVM website or contact us at AVM@tufts.edu.
State 4-H Dairy Show
The 73rd annual State 4-H Dairy Show will be March 26-28th at the Okeechobee County Fairgrounds, 4601 Hwy 710E, Okeechobee, FL 34972. Along with showmanship and cattle classes we will also offer a record book contest, a 4-H dairy quiz bowl contest, and a 4-H dairy judging contest. Registration is free and will be conducted through 4HOnline January 27-March 6. For more information, please call (352) 846-4444 or email Dr. Chris DeCubellis firstname.lastname@example.org. Any 4-H member ages 8-18 is welcome to participate in any part of the show, including contests.
Horticulture Identification and Judging
This event supports the county 4-H plant science/horticulture program by providing an opportunity for 4 H members to acquire knowledge and skills in identification and selection of horticultural products (i.e. vegetables, fruits, flowers, ornamentals) and then apply these basic skills to consumer decision-making.
State Contest. For study manuals and more information visit: http://florida4h.org/programsandevents_/horticulture/.
- When: June 20, 2020 - Starts @ 9:00am
- Where: Sumter County Extension Office - 7620 State Road 471, Suite 2, Bushnell, FL 33513-8716
- On-Site Registration: Opens at 8:30am, contest starts at 9:00am
- Registration Dates: April 24 to June 5, 2020 via Florida 4-H online
- Cost: $10.00 (registration fee)
- Who can Participate: Youth will compete in teams of 3 or 4 at the junior, intermediate, and senior levels. Each county can register a maximum of two junior, intermediate, and senior teams of 4, plus two individuals at each age level for a total of 30 participants. Individual youth may compete if there are not enough to participants to form a county team. The state winning senior team is eligible to represent Florida in the National Junior Horticultural Association Conference and Contest. Eligibility is based on score received at the state contest and is awarded at the discretion of the state specialist.
- Awards: Awards will be given to top individuals at the state level. Partial sponsorship to national competition may be provided to the first-place team and high individual, contingent upon available funding. In order to be eligible for partial sponsorship, the combined first place team score, and the high individual score, must be equal to or greater than 80%.
- For questions contact Dr. Jeff Williamson - email@example.com or Wendy Wilber - firstname.lastname@example.org
Seeking Florida 4-H Camp Staff for 2020
Staff positions for the 2020 4-H camp season are open and advertised! Serving as summer camp staff is not just a job, it's hard work, it's important work, and it's work that changes lives...yours and the youth that you serve! Apply today to serve at one of Florida 4-H's three 4-H camps 4-H Camp Timpoochee, 4-H Camp Cherry Lake, or 4-H Camp Cloverleaf. http://florida4h.org/camps_/jobs/summer-camp-staff-application/.
- Age: Must be 18 years of age and one year out of high school.
- Pay: $230/week plus room and board (pay increases each additional year of staffing)
- Time commitment: 11 weeks of summer program (includes 3 weeks of training)
- Responsibilities: Ensure camper health, safety, and happiness, effectively program both daily educational camp classes and evening all-camp programs, lifeguard for campers during waterfront time, lead songs and games, prep and facilitate traditional camp activities (flag raising and lowering ceremonies, campfires, etc), facilitate rainy day alternative activities in the event of inclement weather, adapt quickly and positively to schedule changes, demonstrate willingness and ability to learn the principles of youth development, life skill development, and the goals of Florida 4-H, learn and understand emergency procedures as they apply to the facility, perform facility cleaning duties and minor maintenance, and maintain a clean and appropriate working appearance (within the bounds of the Florida 4-H Camping Dress Code). Camp Staff have minimal in-cabin responsibilities with campers.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate a willingness to do what needs to be done to provide campers with the best possible camping experience and will understand that other duties (not listed here) may be assigned to ensure the success of each camping week.
- Meals: Provided from Sunday dinner through Friday lunch
- Lodging: Provided from mid-May through early August in camp staff cabins (one male and one female staff cabin at each camp)
- Weekends: Staff have most weekends free, unless they choose to work outside user groups for additional pay.
4-H 2020 Talent Review
The National Association of County Agricultural Agents Annual Meeting and Professional Improvement Conference (NACAA AM/PIC) will be held in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The 4-H Talent Revue will be held on Monday, July 20, 2020. The 2020 4-H Talent Revue is open to all 4-H members in the states of the NACAA Southern Region – Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Puerto Rico
Each application requires:
- An audition video uploaded to YouTube.
- Fill out the 4-H Talent Revue Application and include the link to the video and a description of the talent.
- Audition videos should showcase youth talent, but do not have to be professionally produced. It is recommended that applicants submit the song/act they want to perform at the talent revue. Videos should be no longer than 5 minutes.
- The deadline for all submissions is January 31, 2020.
The 4-H Talent Revue Committee will review the entries and notify acts that are selected by February 7. Acts that are selected will be expected to arrive in Virginia Beach on Saturday, July 18, 2020 and return home on Tuesday, July 21, 2020. Rehearsals will be held on Sunday and Monday, with the talent revue held on Monday
evening. Talent acts that are selected will be reimbursed for actual fuel costs and hotel rooms for one adult chaperone and up to four performing 4-H members. https://sites.google.com/vt.edu/2020-nacaa-talent-review/home.
USDA AgDiscovery Open Season Now Open
- a middle or high school student looking for a unique summer internship with an opportunity to live and study on a college campus?
- a high school student looking to improve your resume for college?
- a teacher looking for opportunities to expand your students' view of agriculture?
- a parent looking to learn opportunities for your teen?
Look no further…the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers you an opportunity of a lifetime.
WHAT IS AGDISCOVERY?
AgDiscovery is a summer outreach program designed to help teenagers explore careers in plant and animal science, wildlife management, agribusiness, and much more! The program allows students to live on a college campus and learn about agriculture from university professors, scientists, and administrative professionals who work for the U.S. Government in a variety of fields. They study the life cycles and habits of insects (entomologists); research micro-organisms, such as bacteria and viruses (biotechnologists); examine cells and tissues under a microscope to identify diseases (plant pathologists); work to conserve and manage wild animals and their habitats (wildlife biologists); carry out animal health programs (veterinarians); provide education on the humane care and treatment of animals (veterinarians and animal care inspectors); and manage the business aspects of protecting plants and animals (agribusiness). This 2- to 4-week summer outreach program for 2020 targets middle and high school students who are interested in learning more about plants, animals, and agribusiness. Students chosen to participate in AgDiscovery will gain experience through hands-on labs, workshops, and field trips. Students will also participate in character- and team-building activities and a variety of other events. For more information, open the following website:
Online: MARCH 20, 2020 (by midnight, Eastern Standard Time)
Mailed: postmarked by MARCH 20, 2020
Peter (Pete) T. Grace
Supervisory PPQ Officer
USDA APHIS PPQ
321-745-6490 Cocoa and Jacksonville
4-H County Events
Saturday, March 4, 2019
Alternative Date: Friday, March 3
Youth can enter 4 category areas for County Events: Demonstrations, Illustrated Talks, Fashion Review, and Share the Fun.
Demonstrations and Illustrated Guidelines
Fashion Review Guidelines
Share the fun Guidelines
Saturday, April 25, 2020
Deadline to register - Aprl 17
Area F Horse Show
is now the South Area D Horse Show
Click here for forms and important info
Please register at florida.4honline.com
4-H Make-It Camp
June 8 - 11, 2020
Marine Science Camp
July 13 -17, 2020
Youth ages 9-13 * Counselors ages 14-19
Please see addional info under 4-H Camps
TBD * Lake Placid, FL
Youth ages 8-13 * Counselors ages 14-17
Please see addional info under 4-H Camps